Thursday, December 18, 2014

Desolation Wilderness, Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe




I had forgotten the silence of a soft snowfall in the woods. It was a pleasant surprise, a reminder of the beauty I am returning home to.  I meandered up some switchbacks, grateful for the man and friendly husky who had pointed me this way.  As soft flakes floated between the evergreens, I marveled at having the trail to myself, it seemed the ideal setting for a deer to step out from the trees. I acknowledged this was unlikely to happen, but the mere thought of it was almost just as good. In that instant a bald eagle appeared above me, soaring silently toward the lake. Of course my camera was tucked safely in my backpack, and this time, I am glad. I enjoyed the moment, and it was only that, as he quickly vanished into the trees below. I continued on to the lookout over Emerald Bay, catching the boat as it took a spin around the island, not understanding how the timing had all come together just so. California - you have outdone yourself on our final day together. I thank you. However, the time has come, and your seduction cannot keep me. I am homeward bound.

1 comment:

  1. Awe. What a beautiful picture and touching story. It really moved me. Thanks XO

    ReplyDelete